Jaime's Blog

Praying to be shaped and molded by His grace...

February 21, 2007

A Little Needed Venting

First off, let me say that I am very humbled that today is Ash Wednesday. This is a definite time of sombering thought about Jesus's beautiful sacrifice for my sin...a very humbling thought. Our church is holding it's second Ash Wednesday service tonight; and I am eager to go. Our church (albeit Protestant and pushing to separate from mindless traditions) recognizes there is beauty in some older practices. And our Ash Wednesday service is very thought-provoking and means a lot to the members.

On to my reason for this post: I find the whole giving up of something during Lent a rather weird concept. I guess it's weird in today's society, in comparison to it's original intent. The intent was that committed followers of Jesus would give up something to inconvenience their lives, in order to regain their focus on God. Fine by me. So then what's my problem??
My problem lies in the utter superficiality of this practice in today's world. I see so many people concerned with giving up meat on Ash Wednesday, but I don't see any other concern in their lives about their lack of an intimate relationship with Jesus.

For instance, today our cafeteria at school served a chicken sandwich as their special...on ASH WEDNESDAY. I capitalize in mocking. People had a fit over their audacity to do such. And when asked if they would like the special, they either made a mocking remark or acted pious as if to say I will never eat meat on Ash Wednesday...the thought! And yet, I look at those same people and think you'll give up your meat, but you won't give up your life for Jesus? What on earth is the point? Is it for show? Is it obligation or guilt that drives you? I dunno.

All I know is that it's irritating to see people who are so disconnected with what Jesus really wants...and that's a relationship with you. And He wants you to build relationships with others. How do you do that when you are screaming at the cafeteria lady that she messed up big time today with her specialty pick??

I don't know how to end this post. I know my heart needs God's grace for those people...I need His love for those people. Because anger or bitterness is not the way to reach anyone. Thanks to everyone for reading this and letting me vent.

Check out this link to read more on the original intent of this tradition: Why do Catholics abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home